29 October 2013

Arcade Fire - Refelektor

I still haven’t read other reviews about The Arcade Fire’s newest full length Reflektor, but what I’ve been hearing are words like “dancey, Bowie-esque, dense, and self indulgent.”
            I am here to dispel these rumors, minus the Bowie one.  He totally does sing on the first track.  Now the weird thing is that those aforementioned adjectives were used with a negative connotation (at least as they were relayed to me).  However, I wanted to wait till I listened to the album all the way thru in my office at home on vinyl uninterrupted (with the exception of flipping both records) to review the album myself.  I changed the color of the lights in the room to a pale blue and green, dimmed the over head lights and sit dead center in my office and just listened.
            My first thoughts were something like “Oh my god, they have defeated other bands at being bands, they have done the unthinkable with so much elegance.  They managed to get dancey without being lame.”  So let me rewind a little bit.  I reviewed the single Reflektor that was released as a 12” back in September as a teaser to the album.  If you scroll up a few reviews back you can see the optimism and excitement for this album that fanboy-ed its way out of me.  I can say now that it wasn’t misplaced.
"Going to Haiti for the first time with Regine was the beginning of a major change in the way that I thought about the world. Usually, I think you have most of your musical influences locked down by the time you're 16. There was a band I [feel] changed me musically, just really opened me up to this huge, vast amount of culture and influence I hadn't been exposed to before, which was really life-changing." (Win Butler). 
Butler cites Haitian music as a major turning point in his work.  To me it is tough to say if he did have a musical epiphany in Haiti, but the band does seem to be at their grooviest.  If you listen carefully to the drums, you can hear that in some places on the album they are actually tuned to the root notes of the chords to thicken up the bass and reinforce the melodic bass lines in the songs.  It took me two listens to the whole album to take in the full depth of just how involved this album is.
            The album sparkles in a way that would normally scream big budget, but for the Arcade Fire, beginning at their humble first EP up through Reflektor, the movement to a larger than life sound is natural.  They have earned the right to put out something grandiose and impressive.   The cool part is, rather than becoming overwhelmed by the restrictions that normally come with such a high risk release (in terms of budget) the band actually embraces it.  With James Murphey (LCD Soundsystem) and Markus Davis at the console they mix a poignant blend of fuzzy layered guitars, BIG drums, thick bass, powerful lyrics and the most confident vocal delivery of Butler’s career.  At times employing the “lo-fi/hi-fi” trick of dirtying up the vocal tracks to great effect.  Reflektor moves quickly, keeping the listener interested with transitional ambiance, screeching feedback and dub-ed out spoken announcements introducing the band. 
The biggest departure from previous albums that I noticed is the lack of their traditional instrumentation.  On previous albums, accordion, strings, trumpets and a layer of other melodic instruments that moved together to provide melodic reinforcement are gone.  Yes, here and there they will toss in something that is doubled with one of those instruments, but it is no longer a big focal point.  Reflektor is much more subtle and understated but somehow saying more than any previous release.  Much closer to Neon Bible than Suburbs.  It is hard to say what this album means long term for a band with a Grammy for Suburbs in 2011 under their belt already.
If you haven’t given your ears some sweet sonic pleasures lately, I urge you to do so with Reflektor.  I also urge you to send your feedback to our facebook page, as I am curious about the thoughts that everyone has on this eloquent departure from a band who has consistently put out quality music.

No comments: