16 October 2013

An Open letter to Sir Paul McCartney Regarding “NEW” (and the corresponding blog)

-->

Dear Sir Paul,
I know you don't need it from me...but KUDO's to you Sir McCartney. Your "NEW" album not only sounds modern, it captures the magic that has been missing from your music since The Beatles. I am not only impressed, but a little sad, since I feel like you will never be able to top this. With a little something for a fan of every Beatles era, and a modern touch to the production, "NEW" is an appropriate name for this modern miracle of an album. No cheesy Wings nonsense, no old standards, just the things that made you what you are. Great job Paul, and though you will never meet me, or know my name, know that you have made me feel like I just listened to Revolver on vinyl for the first time.
-Doug
(now to continue to the rest of the blog)
Oddly enough, I can hear a touch of Sparklehorse, Man Man, and second album Dear Hunter in the production (yes, I’ve been listening to those bands extensively so maybe that is still lingering in my ears).  The acoustic guitar is almost always present, and the drums sound larger than life.  These are two traits that (to me) make a great sounding album.  Not to mention the fact that Sir Paul’s voice hasn’t sounded this incredible since his Beatles years.  
There are weeks I struggle to write about a new release, but this album has topped my expectations (which to be honest, after Kisses on the Bottom, weren’t very high) and made it easy to write this blog first thing in the morning.  Sir Paul’s forward thinking has been showing with age (and that is a positive).  Recently, he sang on a track with The Bloody Beatroots of all people, and kills it.  That songs is the reason I listen to the Beatroots album.
The buzz surrounding this album has been more among the demographic I would say my Dad falls into.  He has always been a huge Beatles fan, and introduced me to their more pop friendly albums at the age of 5.  I remember the day we listened to songs off the White Album on vinyl in our basement at my parent’s first house in Henrietta on my Dad’s disc jockey system.  It was life changing, I didn’t know what it was, but to me, it was what music was supposed to sound like.  I remember him saying “There will never be another band like this again, no matter where you look, no matter what you hear, the Beatles did it, and everyone else tried to follow suit, but no one could.”  As a 5 year old, those words didn’t really resonate with me, because I wanted to play with my Batman action figures and run around the yard.  Now I understand.  Sir Paul helped invent the genre that almost everything we sell in the store is based around.  Defining modern pop, rock, progressive, sonic experimentation, and acid sound-scapes that have been much copied, but never effectively emulated. 
Hopefully the youngsters that are listening to Arctic Monkeys a little too loud can step back and dig through their parents back catalogue for original Beatles albums, learn a thing or two about the songwriting and their significance, then listen to “NEW” and understand just why it is so impressive.  With The Arctic Monkeys citing the Beatles as an influence, releasing a new album (that has sold unexpectedly well) and reinventing themselves yet again, I almost hope this is Sir Paul’s way of saying “Guys, I know you’re trying, and I’m not going to be around forever, but let me show you how its done.  Also the skinny jeans and leather jackets are so two years ago.” (personal note, really hope that is how Sir Paul talks)
I’ll wrap this up without getting overly nostalgic again.  Listen to “NEW”, you won’t be disappointed.  It isn’t a gimmick, it isn’t trying to be something it isn’t, and it leaves you wanting more of a side of Sir Paul we haven’t gotten to see for far to long.  


Buy the Deluxe Edition of NEW before it is gone!!! 
Listen to "Road"

No comments: