19 March 2014

The War on Drugs – Lost in the Dream




The new “War On Drugs” band name is deceiving.  Not that “Lost in the Dream” sounds like they binged out on acid or anything during the recording process, but it does sound like something that you could drunkenly dance to at the Bug Jar. 
            With an 80’s drum machine beat (but played on real drums) prevalent through the whole album, and ethereal Cure-sounding synthesizers, and Graceland-Era-Paul Simon-esqe vocals, the album launches with an “It’s Friday, I’m In Love” kind of feel.  The song “Under the Pressure” is a perfect opener and gives you an idea of what to expect throughout the rest of the album.  Maybe I am not old enough to know what was cool in the 80’s (I’m not, my idea of the 80’s is neon colors, awkwardly fitting pants, Back to the Future, and my parents getting married), but I think this would’ve topped any of the top 40 bands back then, and I wish it would now.
            Originally founded by guitarist/singer Adam Granduciel and Kurt Vile (who left shortly after to focus on his solo work) the band has grown into something unique among a thousand hipster bands trying to capitalize on the past.  Vile recounts moving to PA and meeting Granduciel, and says of the bands name "My friend Julian and I came up with it a few years ago over a couple bottles of red wine and a few typewriters when we were living in Oakland. We were writing a lot back then, working on a dictionary, and it just came out and we were like "hey, good band name” so eventually when I moved to Philadelphia and got a band together I used it. It was either that or The Rigatoni Danzas. I think we made the right choice. I always felt though that it was the kind of name I could record all sorts of different music under without any sort of predictability inherent in the name"
            With a resume like Granduciel’s (guitarist in Kurt Vile and the Violators, front man for the War on Drugs, and producer of several albums) it is no shock that he and The War on Drugs put out something so unique.  There are times when the album slows down, but always picks up quickly.  It is hard not to imagine a smoke filled dive bar with a rowdy crowd yelling at the band to play cover songs and, in a rebellious response The War on Drugs plays one of their up-tempo songs and even the asshole that asked for a Motley Crue Cover can’t help but dance. 
            Are you looking for something new to make you move in your living room, on the dance floor, or get you through a car ride for work that takes hours?  Look no further than The War on Drugs – Lost in the Dream.
Buy the War on Drugs

Listen to "Under the Pressure"

No comments: