19 November 2013

Iron Chic - The Constant One

-->


It is hard to believe, but sometimes I find myself hard pressed for something new to listen to.  Before anyone goes off the handle with things like “you work at a record store!” or, “you have the internet!!” or “you have a phone!” keep this in mind…We listen to music all day long, mostly music that we haven’t heard (‘cause we all like to stay informed), and its great.  It’s the bee’s knees.  It’s the dog’s tuxedo (that’s a thing right?).  But, when you have so many choices available to you, sometimes its difficult deciding on just one CD.  Long story short, this week I have been pretty musically indecisive.  So instead of trolling the internet for what is trending right this second, or what the current charts say, I took a chance and grabbed a CD at random out of our listening booth selection for the month.  The album was “The Constant One” by Iron Chic.
Iron Chic is a throwback pop punk/hardcore band in the vein of Polar Bear Club, with a little Dave-Grohl-yell-singing thrown in for good measure.  You (probably) don’t know this, but I love pop punk.  I grew up listening to bands like Operation Ivy, Rancid, Less Than Jake (yes, I know technically ska) and eventually moved on to the pop punk/emo wave that swept up every fourteen-year-old kid that wasn’t on a sports team like a tsunami of loud guitars and tight pants. 
Iron Chic brought me back to the summer of 2001, when walking through the halls with my headphones blasting was the highest form of rebellion I could achieve, without really knowing what I was rebelling against.  They are angst-y, loud, boisterous, and seem to like to swear.  It’s been a while since I heard a band that sounded genuine in this genre. 
During the whole 2007-2009 scenester-all-time-low-four-year-strong-a-day-to-remember-warped tour craze, none of the bands that played this type of music seemed to really mean it.  A lot of them would just play pop punk choruses with nu-metal guitar chugs and scream breakdowns.  The pieces that felt “pop punk” really just seemed like filler till they could do another breakdown to get their crab-core stances of and shake their straightened hair around.  This is not the case with Iron Chic.  Its like they somehow missed that whole fad (to which I say kudos) and just make strait up, feel good, Long Island pop punk. 
As far as songwriting goes, Iron Chic doesn’t break the mold, but damn they are good at what they do.  There is a naiveté to their lyrics that feels at home with the music surrounding them, but they don’t seem contrived.  I believe what they are saying.  That isn’t a phrase I feel like I get to say enough about lyrical content, especially in a genre that (for a while) was overwhelmed with songs about popping bottles, laying under the stars, and how awesome summer was.  Yes, summer was awesome, the stars look great, and sure, everyone loves champagne, but I don’t need to hear about any of those things from someone in painted on neon pants and a v-neck…I doubt their credibility.  I do not doubt Iron Chic’s.
            Sonically, you couldn’t ask for a better pop punk record.  The guitars are appropriately massive, the snare drum is punchy as hell, and the vocals aren’t tuned in post-production.  Sure “The Constant One” probably isn’t for your parents.  It probably isn’t for you little brother or sister either (again, lotta swears) but if you want a good pick me up from a band that really f***ing means it, get your frostbitten New York hands on Iron Chic’s “The Constant One”.  If you hate it, its okay, they don’t care anyway.


No comments: