11 September 2013

Man Man – On Oni Pond

-->
            I’ll be honest, up til this morning I hadn’t listened to Man Man.  I had heard of the band, but it was something I just hadn’t made time for.  Yesterday we received an advanced copy of On Oni Pond , and this morning I put it on when I was by myself and able to give it a majority of my attention.  To start out with, within the first 3 minutes, it encompassed a lot of elements I value in music.  A well placed instrumental introduction that didn’t last too long lead into a really strong and obviously thought out first song.  The vocals were the right amount of interesting, characteristic and polished to be just what the band needed.  Not knowing this band’s history or body of work, this album took me by complete surprise.  However I now have something new and interesting that I will be playing for months to catch all the subtleties that were tastefully worked into the album.
On Oni Pond is an album that you listen to in it’s entirety.  I enjoyed the first full listen however now I find myself wanting to go back and sit down and really listen to all the textures.  This album sounds like it took months to perfect, just based on the tones and textural elements.  If you like Portugal the Man, Cursive, or Foxy Shazam then Man Man’s On Oni Pond is a must.
For your listening pleasure, treat your ears to Sparks from On Oni Pond

No comments: