23 July 2013

Foals - Holy Fire

-->
For a while, Foals was a band I was reluctant to listen to because of how much they had been talked up to me.  Whenever I listen to a record for the first time I want to go into it with very limited expectations so that I can form my own opinions about the experience.  I am lucky to be in a position where I can sit down and listen to an album from start to finish, reflect and let the album digest, then pop it on in the car and catch nuances or subtleties I missed the first time around. 
I finally got around to listening to Foals, Holy Fire, their 3rd studio full length (released February 11th 2013).  Holy Fire is filled with infectious Minus the Bear-ish guitar riffs and plenty of low grooving bass.  A sonic watercolor painting full of ambient textures layered underneath Yannis Philippakis’ smooth, rhythmic vocals, complete with big roomy drums that give the record an honest feel.
The songwriting is strong and the songs sound confident on their own and as a part of the whole record.  Sonically you can hear a touch of Fleet Foxes in the vocal tone, and the presentation of the lyrics.  The guitars sound fantastic, and have their own character.  It is clear a lot of time was spent making sure the layers were tasteful and with purpose. 
            “My Number” moves with delayed guitars that could make The Edge jealous, and hooks that put Foster the People to shame.  Rather than rely on gimmicks, these songs stand out as well thought out, well written, well played and well recorded.  Holy Fire is worth 50 minutes of your undivided attention. 

 Get your copy now!

No comments: