26 April 2012

Weep Themselves to Sleep

Surprise!!I am recommending Jack White's heavily hyped solo effort, Blunderbuss. I wasn't crazy for the White Stripes and what turned me around was Dead Weather. Thanks to that side project, I am giving this a chance. It could be that I was primed for this sound growing up with Classic Rock and being a HUUUGE Guns N'Roses fan as a kid. Yes, GN'R. Why do I mention them? The piano stylings on this album are straight up Axl Rose circa the Use Your Illusion Tours, when he would dedicate a portion of the live show to sitting at the baby grand and noodlin' away and pouring his twisted heart out. Like Axl, White is putting out something from the heart here. I haven't deeply studied the lyrics, but ya can because a lovely lyric book is part of the album packaging. There is something very familiar sounding on this album, very Nashville with the slide guitar and keys, mixing with a warm guitar sounds from AM radio circa the mid nineteen seventies. I didn't expect to like this album, but after a few listens, it still holds up. I think one might have to be in a particular mood for this, if this style of music isn't your daily thing, but all in all, an album that stands out amongst this month's releases. Try "Weep Themselves to Sleep" on for size. Buy your copy of Blunderbuss on CD & LP here.

No comments: