13 December 2011

Sister



The Black Keys are back and this time they have enlisted the help of super-producer Dangermouse!!! Ah yes, that's why it sounds less bluesy-soulful like Brothers and more polished and with added flair containing layers of cheap organs, fuzz guitars, talk boxes, backing girls, tambourines, foot stomps, and handclaps. 'This is not the Black Keys I know and love', you say, but alas, the distinguishable retro vibe is still there amidst all the bells and whistles that Dangermouse brings.

Upon first listen, I really wasn't so sure about this one. My reaction was "ehh" as it has been with their previous albums. Yet as I hear it more and more within the shop, the pop "fungus" created by Dangermouse grows on me and I can't help but to hum along and sing a word or two, even when I think I am not paying attention. I can't help but to notice the arrangements of the songs--they seem to be arranged in groups of threes that go together. The mini-groupings within the album seem to sound the same and then they move onto something else; some organ, some 80s rock, something a bit more like a ballad. There is some sort of bygone era pastiche going on here, like playing like a collection of 11 lost 45 singles, each one having a bigger beat or dirtier hook than the previous side. All that sad, this is an addictive little album. I wanted to avoid it amidst its hype, but I can't get some of these buggers out of my head. Watch out!

Here's one to get stuck in ye olde noggin:


Buy your copy of El Camino at the shop or here (the booklet features all pix of, you guessed it, El Caminos!)

No comments: